Kettle goulash soup (Kotlíkový Guláš) is another wonderful traditional Slovakian dish. The recipe is quite simple but there are definitely few secrets that make this soup taste amazing. My favorite way is to prepare it outdoors on an open fire but an indoor stove will work just fine. Another good advice is to cook it slowly (for at least 2-3 hours) for all the flavors to blend together nicely.
The recipe varies by region and you will not find two recipes that are exactly the same. However, the classic version almost always consists of onions, potatoes, water, herbs and spices, and meat – pork, beef, or venison. And perhaps one more advice…Make sure you have plenty leftovers because the longer the soup sits in the fridge the better it gets.
Ingredients (6-8 servings):
- 1 lb (0.5kg) of cubed beef sirloin
- 1.5 lb (0.75kg ) cubed pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons of lard
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 chopped onions (or two big ones, the more onions the better as they add a hint of sweetness to the soup)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 1.5 lb (0.75kg) of cubed potatoes
- 2 cups (470ml) chopped green peppers
- 2 cups (470ml) cubed tomatoes
- 1 jalapino pepper
- Salt, black pepper, cayenne, cumin, marjoram, paprika, caraway seeds
- 1.5 – 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 2 cups beer
- Marinade meet in a marinade prepared by mixing 2 tbs of olive oil, a pinch of salt and 3 cloves of garlic. Refrigerate at least for two hours
- Put the lard in a large pot and add chopped onions. Braise slowly until golden.
- Dust the meet surface with flour
- Add beef, fry until the meet turns gray while mixing in paprika, Cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, caraway seeds and marjoram and beer
- Mix in cubed peppers and tomatoes
- Cover with water (about 1 inch above the mixture) and cook slowly while adding water once in a while to keep it at the same level
- After approximately 1 hour add the pork and continue cooking slowly.
- Once the meat is tender add the peeled and cubed potatoes. Cook until the potatoes become soft
- Once all ingredients are soft let sit aside for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a dinner roll, french bread or sourdough and garnish with chives and/or parsley
Did you like this recipe?