Levoča is a former free royal town in eastern Slovakia. It is located in the southern heel of the Levoča Peaks in the centre of one of the oldest and most distinctive historical regions of Slovakia -Spiš. The town and its sights are among the most beautiful in Slovakia. The oldest written mention of Levoča dates back to 1249. On 28 June 2009, the town was added by UNESCO to its World Heritage List.
Levoča Town Walls
The most visited part of the town is its historic center with well preserved town walls from the 13th century. Another popular place to visit is the renaissance Church of St. James located in the town centre square. The church has the highest wooden altar in the world. The altar was carved by the local famous renaissance artist Master Pavol of Levoča. Renaissance and early-Baroque houses with arcades and gorgeous fasades surround the church.
The Cage of Shame
Another interesting historical site in Levoča is “The Cage of Shame” . It can be also found in the town square, in front of the old Town Hall (which is now a museum). The cage looks more like a big bird cage. The cage was often used during markets, fairs and festivals. Cheaters, liars, thieves, gossipers and drunks would be locked up in the cage for a couple of days, where they were pelted by rocks and rotten vegetables. There are several cages of shame in Slovakian towns, but this one is the biggest and also the oldest. The cage is kept locked most of the time, but occasionally it’s opened up for special events.