Slovakian caramel puffs (Venceky or Veterniky) are a popular dessert in Slovakia. They are somewhat similar to American Cream puffs but filling is different. While cream puffs are usually filled with vanilla pudding or white whipped filling, Venceky are filled with butter caramel vanilla puding filling and heavy whipped cream. The traditional shape of venceky is a mini wreath shape with a hole in the middle . Traditionally, Venceky are made big enough to fit on a small plate, about 4 inches across. Assembled will last about 2 days in an airtight container. Dust with powder sugar before serving.
- 1/2 c water
- 3 1/2 tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups all purpose flower
- 3 eggs
- vanilla pudding
- 2 tbs rum (skip if making for children)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 c powder sugar
- 1 packet Whip it (whipped cream stabilizer)
- 1/2 cup water and a pinch of salt
- 3 1/2 tbs unsalted butter. Combine in a pot and bring to boil
- add 3/4 cup of flour, stir until all combined and smooth and separating well from the walls of the pot. transfer to a separate bowl to cool off
- add 3 eggs one at a time, mix well until all incorporated. Transfer to a piping bag. Pipe small circles of two layers (so go around twice).
- Throw few drops of water on the pan. Bake at 390 for the first 8 minutes then at 350 for another 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine 1 packet of vanilla pudding (must be cook pudding, not instant), bring to a boil while stirring constantly. set aside and cool down completely.
- When cooled down, beat 1 stick of unsalted butter with 3/4 cup powder sugar until smooth. Slowly add cooled down pudding and beat until combined and no lumps left
- add two tbs of rum
- Beat 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream with 1/3 cup of powder sugar and 1 packet of Whip It (stabilizer, or use 1 tsp corn starch). Beat on high for 2-4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
Cut cooled puffs in half. Make caramel and mix it with a tablespoon of whipped cream. Pour the topping mixture over the top half of the puffs. Let it cool down. If easier, dust with powder sugar before serving.
Place pudding filling in a piping bag or ziplock bag. Do the same with whipped cream. fill bottom part of puff with pudding, then layer of whipped cream. close with the top part of puff.
They are amazing!