Langoše is very popular comfort food in Slovakia. Basically, it is an alternative to pizza but the crust is made out of fried dough. Langoše can be purchased in little stands sprinkled around just about any Slovak city. They are filling and not super healthy but the taste makes up for it! :)
- 1 1/4 c milk
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 envelopes of fresh yeast
- vegetable oil
- 1 c Mozzarella or 1/2 c Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c melted butter
- Mix warm milk with sugar and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix flour and salt. Add yeast and milk mixture. Mix into a dough.
- Cover the dough and let it raise in a warm place for at least 40 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 1 inch thick circle and cut out small circles with a cup or mug. Cover and let the circles sit aside for another 10 minutes.
- Warm up vegetable oil in a sauce pan or a deep fryer.
- Stretch the dough circles in your hands into bigger circles and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Let fried dough sit on a paper towel to remove extra oil
Brush the Langoše with melted salted butter with garlic and your favorite toppings. Try sour cream with mozzarella cheese and ham. You could also try ketchup or tartar sauce and cheese. Garnish with chives, scallions and jalapeños.