Christmas almond bread (Vianočny mandľovy koláč) is a delicious treat on any Christmas table. It does not only tastes great but also it looks beautiful on a serving tray. Perfect to impress family members and guests.
- Mix milk and sugar. Add yeast and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, salt, flower and cardamom. Cut in butter.Add yeast mixture. Form a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and cool for 12 to 24 hours.
- Filling: Mix sugar, almond paste, almonds, cinnamon and almond extract using an electric mixer until evenly blended. It may be crumbly.
- Split the chilled dough into two halves and roll each into a circle. Spread the filling over the top of one circle. Cover the filling with the second circle. With a knife cut in 12 wedges but leave the center uncut. Twist each wedge twice in the same direction
- Brush the top of the bread with egg white and sprinkle with almonds. Cover loosely with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the bread in the preheated oven until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into slices to serve.